EFM auto clutch, KX500 required mods...

For riders with two wheels who don't care about the surface they ride on.

Moderators: MV031161, Goosedog

EFM auto clutch, KX500 required mods...

Postby Benson on Thu May 29, 2008 11:35 am

http://www.efmautoclutch.com/about.shtml

With my left hand problems recently, I really need one of these babies. $550 bucks seems pretty reasonable for the problem it will solve for me.

The KX500 is not listed on the site though.

I just got off the phone with EFM though, and they have one that will work on my bike with some minor mods.

The clutch cover on the KX500 is not seperate from the right engine case, the whole side cover/kick starter/water pump has to come off to get to the clutch, so no "Spacer" can be made to allow room for the 3/8ths inch thicker clutch pack with the EFM.

I will need to shave off the clutch cover portion from my side case(on the Mill at work) and weld on some "Tabs" to accept the fasteners to hold on a spacer and a seperate clutch cover retrofitted from another bike. (or made myself)

Sounds pretty straight forward to me.
:lol:
Benson
Always Knows Best

Re: EFM auto clutch, KX500 required mods...

Postby Desmo Demon on Thu May 29, 2008 12:55 pm

The clutches seem to work fairly well (when installed and adjusted correctly). i know a guy with one of those on his SV650.

Places I've Been on Two-Wheels:
IBA #32735
Desmo Demon
Duc and Cover

Postby Benson on Thu May 29, 2008 1:39 pm

Desmo Demon wrote:The clutches seem to work fairly well (when installed and adjusted correctly). i know a guy with one of those on his SV650.

(this quote is from the "Death Grip" thread...)
Desmo Demon wrote:I know some folks with the Rekluse and the EFM clutches. Other than the EFM not being installed or adjusted correctly and self destructing while taking our the clutch pack, they seem to be good units. I heard that the guys at EFM are a pleasure to deal with.

Yeah, nice guy at EFM I was speaking with on the phone.

I hardly use the clutch to shift gears anyways, regardless up or down through the gears, so I can see how this thing could work well.

I wonder if there is any problems with the low speed riding and having enough rpms built up to spin the ball bearings and tighten the grip in the clutch? My KX500 has a lot of torque and doesn't need to rev much. I've also modified the bike for low rpm performance.
I ride with the motor just above stalling A LOT. In fact, thats where the bike is riden most often I think, I like the tight woods.

An auto-clutch seems perfect for my style of trail riding, if the claims are true. (I wonder if it will help me climb "Grizzly Hill" easier? :tonqe: )

The clutch cover on my KX is already damaged so this mod won't risk much, the brake lever impacts into the cover in crashes and breaks it. Mine was welded years ago, and I've considered adding the removable clutch(only) cover feature since then.
(It will be much easier now with access to an End Mill.... :heart: )
:lol:
Benson
Always Knows Best

Postby Desmo Demon on Fri May 30, 2008 5:34 am

Benson wrote:I wonder if there is any problems with the low speed riding and having enough rpms built up to spin the ball bearings and tighten the grip in the clutch? My KX500 has a lot of torque and doesn't need to rev much. I've also modified the bike for low rpm performance.
I ride with the motor just above stalling A LOT.

I don't know how it would work, but I would guess not much different than the bike pulls, now. The only time I rode the SV650 was when I installed the electric shifter on it for him, and since the clutch was not adjusted correctly, I couldn't change gears. I no it could take off from a stand still in 6th gear without any problems. It just took a little while to feel any acceleration, but I was amazed that the thing pulled that well from 6th gear.

Places I've Been on Two-Wheels:
IBA #32735
Desmo Demon
Duc and Cover

Return to Dirt/Tard Riders